On Friday October 29th, on the eve of the Glasgow climate talks, hundreds of us are joining youth activists and communities on the frontlines of climate breakdown in laying climate justice memorials and demonstrating outside the UK’s biggest funders of fossil fuel projects. Together we’re demanding that banks and the Bank of England #DefundClimateChaos. People are planning various different actions on the day, but here’s what we suggest you do, together with friends in your area:
- Make a plan to meet outside a bank near you, such as HSBC or Barclays – two of the UK’s biggest funders of fossil fuels. For an hour or two, hold posters and hand leaflets to passers by, and invite people to join you in laying tributes, like flowers or messages, to the most impacted communities around the world.
- Once you’ve decided when and where you’ll be, add it to the map of the actions – don’t be shy to put your action on the map!
- You can order your #DefundClimateChaos posters and leaflets here. Sticking the posters to a piece of card can make them easier to hold.
- You can make a climate justice lantern in 3 steps and take it as a tribute.
- You can print off this letter to give to workers inside the bank.
Once you’ve decided on the details of your action, email email@example.com to let the Positive Money team know and we can help invite local people to join you. Together we could let the local press know, which will help it have more impact. On the day, remember to take photos of your action and email them to the Positive Money team so we can spread the word about the actions happening all around the country.
See if there’s an event already planned near you or register your action here.
We ask that any group or individual wishing to organise and affiliate their action with the #DefundClimateChaos day of action commits to embody these organising principles.
For people with more time, this is a step-by-step guide full of ideas, tips and background information on climate justice memorials. Remember your memorial can be simple or extensive.